Monday, August 25, 2008

What I did on my holidays

The majority of what I did on my holidays involved copious amounts of mud - both of the Northumbrian and Scottish varieties.

My week off started with a smile when the Grey Mare delighted me with her dressage. The competiton had been forced inside because the field where it was due to be held was wet, boggy and muddy.

My mud-free moment occurred when I bade farewell to my old Corsa and swapped him for a green machine. My new car is diesel, which I hope will cut the fuel bills. I had emptied the Corsa the night before going to the garage. The garage man still said: "Horsey girl are you?" I don't know if it was the Grey Mare hairs clinging valiantly to the upholstery or the pervading pong of eau d'cheval. I have been ordered not to turn the new car into a horse equipment depositary.

More mud was in order when I accompanied a friend who was showing two ponies at a big horse event in Scotland. We were towed onto the lorry park by tractor and towed off again the next morning. The lorry park henceforth became known as 'the swamp'. My friend did marvellously well and not only won her class but won the championship against the first and second-placed ponies in three classes.

And today, I returned to the muddy showground of Glendale. This year, I was under cover, serving tea and coffee to horsey folk for a couple of hours.

My holiday is over, the summer - such as it was - is drifting on towards autumn and it's back to work tomorrow.

6 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Ah horses. We call them 'stripeless zebra' in my part of the world.

Gill said...

Horsey heaven holidays for those of you that love the horses! Did you manage to bag any bargains in the Joules sales this year?

Karen said...

Just think what wonders all the mud will be doing for your and the GM's skin!

Has your new car got a name yet or have you not worked out it's personality yet?

Mutterings and Meanderings said...

GM, all equine are graceful godlike creatures ...

Gill, I am avoiding Joules due to the credit crunch!

Karen, he is called Minty!

The Dotterel said...

You'll get a lot more miles per litre, but have you seen the price of diesel?

luos said...

Notre Dame fan Web sites have wholesale clothing been deluged with people posting messages wholesale furniture calling for Weis' firing, and newspaper columnists have been questioning Ceramic tile whether he is capable of making the Fighting Irish Micro sd cards national title contenders again.Notre Dame lost for the third time in four games Saturday, falling Consumer Electronics to Boston College 17-0. The Fighting Irish have beaten only one team without a losing record, Stanford Furniture Wholesale (5-5)."I love the passion and I love that people ugg boots care that but there's Wholesale jewelry no factual predicate for any wholesale electronics sort of discussion today."I was hoping there wholesale clothing would be a little more digital camera wholesale optimism, and there's not," Zorn wholesale mp3 players said. "He's still questionable. There was china electronics wholesale no change. I was expecting another jump."Portis' absence wholesale handbags would be a big blow for Washington, as the running back is the second-leading.