Sunday, June 03, 2007

Tick tock ...

So, that’s another weekend gone. You spend half the week looking forward to it, then, wham, bam, it’s passed you by in a blur. And, if you’re me, you probably haven’t managed to do half of the things you’d decided put off until the weekend.

Sometimes, I wish I could press a pause button on time. I spend so much time willing it to speed up (when I’m bored, when I’m skint and pay day seems a long way off), then looking back and asking myself: “Where did that day/week/month/year go?”

I’ve been watching and listening to the TV and radio coverage marking the 40th anniversary of the release of Sergeant Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band. I listened to that album a lot in the months before I went to university. It staggers me to think that it was 20 years ago this September that I went to uni. I was as distant then from the release of Sergeant Pepper’s as I am now from leaving home and striking out alone.

Andrew Marr’s A History of Modern Britain is fascinating me. The world he is describing seems distant and alien; but it’s not. Just look over your shoulder and crane your neck to see around that last bend in the road. I can’t believe it’s 25 years since the Falklands War. I can’t believe it’s already seven years since the Millennium. When I was a kid, I thought I’d be old when the year turned from 1999 to 2000. Perhaps I am.

Anyone know where I can find a Tardis?


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just been talking about this M&M. I don't know where this year's gone. Quick funny story for you about tardis - last year we had Vodafone mast erected on our land (for the mobile pests on the trains believe it or not), anyway, the workers had a portaloo up there which my daughter loved and we had to make a daily trip to the field so she could use it - weird I know. Inside the portaloo, one of these 'workers' had scrawled "Turdis". Sorry, but it just made me laugh so much I wanted to share that with you. My daughter kept asking, "what's a turdis?" Crystal x

The Secretary said...

I felt old the other month when we employed a new maths teacher who is 21 - oh, my god, I am old enough to be his mother. In my head I am still 16 and when I walk past a shop window and catch sight of myself I wonder who that old bat is looking at me. Hubby and I have been married 18 years this year, to me we are still 22 and 24 with our whole life ahead of us........oh for goodness sake pass me another G&T!

Anonymous said...

I was told that I don't look 35 and then some "well-meaning soul" (see future post for the reveal) said "Oh, 35? I'd have put you at early forties at least"

When you find the tardis, can I join you? I'd like to go back to the age I was when I realised that it was all downhill from that point - just so that I'll be able to know then what I know now!

Omega Mum said...

I find Andrew Marr strangely attractive - it's that voice....I could listen to him reading from his book all day. Mmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

Someone I'd been doing an MA with last year was shocked when she discovered I was no longer in my thirties.
Doesn't make it any easier to stay a size 12 though - bar eating like Liz Hurley, which I'm not willing to do.

Stay at home dad said...

M&M, children are the only tardis I have found...

lady macleod said...

I'm smiling. Lovely sweet post. I am reading "Parallel Worlds" by Michio Kaku - perhaps we can find some answers in there...

Gill said...

Having children speeds up time because one minute they are a baby and the next they are borrowing your shoes and giving you advice. I've been married for 32 years this year and I can't believe THAT.

Anonymous said...

Never mind Secretary and Eminem - you can join the group Mary Portas [The Queen of Shops doncha know..] call the Forever Forties, since they are searching for that Pause button you mention, rather than growing old gracefully.

If it is any consolation, us chaps just don't go for the 'dippy doras' in the 22 -24 age range these days - just have a look at the Big Brother house to find out what an unattractive bunch of vapid, binge drinking, selfish, vain bitches they are these days...

debio said...

I have always wanted to be the age I'm not - except I'm now so old that all the ages I want to be have been used up....
I shall resort to elective surgery.

rilly super said...

M&M, you just want the tardis because you fancy David Tennant, but I think you might have to fight that new assistant he's started knocking around with for him first

Andres, JCT said...

all time occurs simulataneously

the past, the present, the future

all occupy the same moments in time

we call them past, present or future

based on our perspective

all times occur simultaneously

so, hit the pause button

and see what happens

Gill said...

ooh andres I like that!

muddyboots said...

don't get time to be bored like, but where time goes l just don't know. l feel no differnt to when l was 20, it's just gravity & dangerous sports that have caused the damage. 40 years ago today..

Catherine said...

However old I am, since I turned 30, seems too old, but when I look back now, I always think how young I was then.

So presumably, when I'm 70, I shall look back at the 'young thing' I am now. Although I'm not.

Time flies.